On April 8th 2014, Microsoft will cease to release updates to the 12 year old operating system Windows XP. All technical support to XP users will also stop. Without any security updates, bug fixes or critical patches to keep up with malware, there’s a very real chance anyone still running Windows XP from April 9th will come across problems. XP is over a decade old, but still a staggering 29% of the world’s computers are believed to still be using the operating system. This makes it the second most popular operating system behind Windows 7. Antivirus software will continue to work but without the Microsoft’s updates, a major line of defense will be lost.
- For embedded systems that run the componentised XP embedded (XPe) OS, service will continue for another 2 years, whereas the full XP Professional will lose support. The upgrade options for anyone running XP at the moment are as follows:
Windows Embedded Standard (WES) 7 or 8 –
- WES 7 is supported until 2020 and WES 8 until 2023.
Windows 7 or 8 Pro –
- Windows 7 Pro is supported until 2020 and Windows 8 Pro until 2023.
- If you are running embedded systems on XP and need advice or if now is the time for a hardware upgrade please contact us and we can help with the correct course of action to keep systems online for Spring 2014.
- Our experienced sales team can offer the most up to date information and suggest options which fit your specification and budget; depending on location, please call the numbers listed at the top of the page or use the
- to send us your requirements.
About Assured Systems
- Assured Systems is a leading technology company offering high quality and innovative applied computing solutions to the embedded, industrial, and digital-out-of-home markets across the world. Headquartered in Stone, England and with offices in North America and the UAE (coming Q2 2014), our reach is truly global. Our impressive product portfolio includes a full range of Fanless Embedded Computer Systems, Digital Signage & Multimedia Computer Systems, Touchscreen Panel PCs, Human Machine Interfaces, Vehicle Mount Computers, Rackmount Computer Systems, Single Board Computers, Rugged Laptops & Tablets. Please call the numbers listed above or visit our website at
- for more information.